Wednesday 18 May 2016

OUIL603 Studio Brief 5 - Food Editorial Boards


I love drawing food so I had a lot of fun with this brief. It had started off as more of a process brief where I would just draw lots of food in my sketchbook, and improve my collage work. But I wanted to give the project more context and make it more applicable to the outside world so I decided to go down the editorial route which I hadn't done before. Although I had to really consider compositions for the brief, there weren't any complex concepts to work around so it gave me a bit of a break from the other projects - I think it's good to have a range of difficulty within the projects. I wanted to build up food illustration within my portfolio as it is something there is always a need for, as well the fact I enjoy doing it. I had originally planned to do 5-10 food illustrations but because of the time constraints I only managed 5 which is a shame because I was really enjoying doing them. I was wanting to do some more analogue and not digital - as that is how I had started the project, and the original point was to do more sketchbook work, which I stopped doing once  I began producing the editorial work. This project did fall behind a bit, and I had to put other projects that were more pressing before it. I am pleased with the illustrations I made though, I felt I could really play around with composition and make it quite pattern like. I also wanted to show that I can work with editorial, and not just publishing - it shows a breadth to my work. Although it would have been nice to do more sketchbook and analogue work, I can now send off these illustrations to food and lifestyle magazines, and have a collection of strong portfolio pieces which is more important. I will carry on producing responses to food articles and improving my food illustration because food editorial is definitely something I want to try and get in to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment