Wednesday 18 May 2016

OUIL603 Studio Brief 3 - Clockwork Orange Boards


This was an important brief for me for a couple of reasons. Firstly it allowed me to work with lino print, which is a print method I had never worked with before, and I found out I really enjoy doing it. I had stayed away from it as I felt it suited more line based work, whereas I work more with shape, but I discovered my work translates well onto lino and it's definitely something I want to continue doing - it has pushed me to look for print studios in London for after I leave uni. It has also given me the chance to improve my book design skills, illustrating and designing book covers is something I want to go into much more. I feel I have developed a lot from last year, my typography skills have definitely improved, and how I work with text and image together rather than two separate things. I spent a long time with the book cover, and it ended up very simple and stripped back but I feel like it works well with the dark adult fiction book. I was originally planning on doing the War Horse competition, but I am glad I made clockwork orange into a bigger brief because it meant I could create work with a bit more edge to it. All the other briefs I have been working on are very colourful, fun and could be considered kid friendly whereas this shows another side to my practice and gives strong additions to the portfolio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment