Friday 20 March 2015

WrappedCo.

We were emailed about a wrapping paper brief which was very open - just design a wraping paper at A2 size. It's only a small brief but I gave it a go. 

I decided to use imagery I have already been working with - the textured pebbles I made for my 505 brief. I really like the pattern on them, they are bright and quite playful so I think they would look good on a wrapping paper. 

I haven't made a repeat pattern before, when I initially started I thought I would just place the pebbles at random places all over the page but then I was told that isn't how you make a repeated pattern. One way of doing it is to:

- make a diamond shape within a square on photoshop, and then place your imagery within the diamond.

- then you move each corner of the diamond, with the imagery, to its opposite corner in the square:

- and then you are left with a white space the size of the diamond with all the corners filled in, so then you just fill in the middle


This tile can then be placed onto the actual page and it will be a repeated pattern. 

Annoyingly when I made it I didn't realise how small I had made the initial square I was working with, so when I put it onto the A2 page the design was far too small;


So I had to enlarge it a bit. Also the lines between each square was really visible because if they were moved too close the pebbles would touch which would ruin the design. I managed to blend the squares on each row going horizontally, but not going vertically, but I quite liked the final design:


Every design entered was uploaded to the website and put up for sale which was quite exciting, and rewarding to actually see it up there:

It was only a small, quick brief but I enjoyed it, and learnt how to make a repeated pattern properly which is useful. And it gave me the chance to have some of my work sold which is always exciting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment