Monday 9 March 2015

progress review

We had a review of our work so far and of our project proposal. Fred didn't see any outstanding problems with my idea but thought I could maybe be a bit more ambitious and also think about my work in context - and actually give it a reason for being made. 

I am making a series of illustrations and a book cover for Lord of the Flies, but why? It could maybe be for an anniversary of the book being written and so a new, illustrated edition is being released. Or maybe it could be a regular release in a newspaper, where there is a new chapter each week with a new illustration connected. 

I think I like the idea of creating an event for the book, so I can think about the book maybe being displayed in the book shop and what other relevant things can be made. I could make/design a whole promotional pack to come with the special anniversary book, for example:
- illustrated book marks
- the bag the book comes in
- design on the receipt
- map of the island included with book

And then the release of the book would have things like:
- illustrated book display stands
- shop window display/mural

Some research I've done into shop displays and book marks:


I like the bookmarks that actually relate to the front cover in some way - as if the bookmark is carrying on the design in a clever way. Also the book stands that represent characters from the book, that could work quite well - or maybe having a different character on each book mark. I still need to work a lot on developing imagery for the actual book illustration before I start on all this but it is good to have an end point in mind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment