Monday 10 November 2014

etching

I decided it would be better to change the image I'm using for my photo etching, as I was told the print comes out better when you us actual photos rather than drawings.
So I printed out a photo of a windmill and some planes and used the same collage as before



I then had to photocopy it onto acetate so that I could expose it later onto the copper plate


I like how well the collage on the hill has come out, hopefully the texture will transfer onto the copper plate

I didn't realise how long the process was for photo etching, I thought it would be a lot quicker but it is about the same, if not a bit longer as there is a lot of waiting around. It is quite a complicated process as well which can easily go wrong:

- clean the copper plate, it has to be completely clean of any grease for photo etching
- while still slightly wet, the sheet of film needs to be peeled and stuck on the plate, making sure there are no air bubbles underneath. The film is light sensitive so should avoid light as much as possible
- once dry, the image on acetate is exposed onto the screen for about 8 seconds
- the plate is then left in water with some powder for an hour
- then the plate is left in acid for another hour, this time it was left for an hour and a half because the acid was a bit weak

The difference for normal etching is that after initially cleaning the plate, hot wax has to be rolled on and left to dry. Then you etch in the image using the tools, then you put the plate in the acid for half an hour so it can eat away at the wax and into the copper. Then you use turpentine to clean off the wax. Then the process of inking up is the same:

- layer on the ink, making sure it gets in all the lines
- scrape off the heavy excess ink
- use tissue paper to clean off the ink but being careful not to get any out of the lines
- wet the paper being used to print on and then print
- for a second print, all the excess needs to be cleaned off and then applied again

So it is a very time consuming process but the outcomes can be rewarding, but it becomes quite a difficult process to experiment with because of how long it takes.



I love the blue colour of the film on the colour plate (the purple is from scanning it in) Not all the detail was exposed onto the plate, but all the texture did which I was pleased about although it was hard to clean all the ink off the plate


 I was pleased with how the collage transferred, but the planes haven't come out very well. I also wanted it to be a bit darker and dirtier around the edges to give it more a gritty feel but I cleaned too much of the ink off before printing. It would have looked better on smaller paper or if I had used a smaller copper plate. But I am happy with this tester, and although it is very time consuming and will be difficult to make a series of prints, I think I will stick with etching as I did really enjoy the process. But I think I will use normal etching next time because I feel I will be able to be more experimental with my mark making.

No comments:

Post a Comment