Wednesday 11 December 2013

ideas for book

After doing this research I feel that I am most drawn to doing a project where I can explore textures and play around with materials, collage etc. as I really enjoyed doing this with the fish scales. I think there is quite a lot of scope with fish scales, though I haven't done much factual research on it yet, I could look into the use of the scales.
I looked a little into the uses of scales:
- for camouflage
- to warn off predators
- to attract a mate
- to distract/confuse
- reflect light
So there will be quite a bit of secondary research I can carry out with this subject, look into the biology of fish, how they survive - there will be a lot of factual and scientific websites and books on it, but also visiting aquariums will provide good primary research as I will be able to see it for myself. 
It will be interesting to experiment with how I can best communicate the look of the scales as it is quite a difficult texture, but I want to work with collage as that will be good when trying to build up texture. In terms of materials I thought:
- metallic paints
- gold leaf
- watercolour
- oil paint
- fabric
- reflective materials
This project is also good as it isn't too restrictive, if I find myself a bit stuck I could look into other animals and how they use their skin for survival - like snakes. Or maybe explore fish's environments - the coral reef, and show how they camouflage themselves within it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment