Wednesday 6 November 2013

line, mark, pattern (part 2)

Looking more at pattern, tone, mark making


Use of colour adds tone, makes drawing more vibrant and adds life to the lizard. The sketchy, fast line work makes it energetic.



Explored the use of mark making, using different marks for different areas of shadow, looking at drawing as a whole makes it look more like one big pattern which I quite like. This is unfinished but I feel the large open space of the river contrasts nicely with the areas of intense detail. Was looking at Nigel Peake's work when making this, he does similar mark making in his pieces. 




Pen and ink. I accidentally smudged a bit of it but it created a good shadow, so I continued to use my finger to create shading which works well I think.



Blotted black and white paint to try and create scaly texture of lizard, works well because it adds depth, the method I used is relevant to the actual texture. Makes it quite a lively drawing, possibly suggests movement. 

I did some monoprints of an image of a hoof from some sort of creature that lived on the galapagos islands. The original drawing I was working from was quite an old, scientific illustration, but I thought the texture from it would look good as a print. 







I am pleased with how these turned out, although it is not clear what they are of, I really enjoyed this process. This process enabled me to create quite abstract forms of the original image, making it rather experimental. Also love the colours that turned out from mixing the inks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment