Thursday 23 October 2014

animation research

I looked at some animator's work to get some inspiration on how I could go about doing my drawn animations:

Avish Khebrehzadeh

http://avishkz.com/newsite/video.html

I really like the simplicity of her work, the way the background is unchanging, the focus is just on the dog and the owner. The rough drawing of the figures gives the animation quite an emotive feel to it. I think I want to use quite loose line work for my animations.

Florence Miailhe

https://www.onf.ca/film/conte_de_quartier

I love the beginning of this animation, the disappearance of the painted leaves into the street view is so effective, and beautifully done. It seems like it would be relatively simple to achieve as well as it just lots of painted dots being moved around. I would like to learn how you would go about having the background still while also having moving elements as a part of it. I also like that it is a painted animation, it makes it seem very fast paced as it moves into the figures as the paint work varies each time.

Koji Yamamura

https://www.nfb.ca/film/muybridges_strings/making_of/muybridges_strings_making_of

I watched this video of Yamamura's way of working, I like how it is quite lo-fi and each drawing doesn't slide seamlessly into each other - it is a bit disjointed and can tell they are all separate drawings, it gives the animation a very handmade, personal feel to it.
Really like that parts of it are quick ink drawings, it makes me feel better about trying to do an animation, that it doesn't have to be really refined and exact, there can be a bit of looseness to it. 

http://vimeo.com/67751676

I watched another one of his films, which is quite different but still has the looseness to it that I really like. It is so fast moving, you can't concentrate on any single part. I also like how it is white on a black background, it makes it very dynamic. I might try and use a similar style on my work, I can imagine it working quite well if I wanted to show some explosions or something similar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment