Tuesday 29 April 2014

end of module evaluation - visual communication

1.  What skills have you developed through this brief and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I hadn’t had any previous experience with illustrator before studio brief 2, so that was a completely new skill I acquired, I don’t feel I completely engaged with the process as I didn’t create my final images completely on illustrator so they weren’t really shaped based imagery. But how I did use it is more in line with how I usually work, and I learnt how to combine my analogue work with illustrator, which was really useful skill.
Also, in studio brief 3, I had to think more about format and editing my work to fit into different scales which is an important skill. I think I did well working at the postcard and stamp size but faltered a bit for the A2 poster size as it became too convoluted and didn’t really fit with the compositions and style of the postcards and stamps.

2. What approaches to/methods of image making have you developed and how have they informed your concept development process?

During studio brief 3, I was able to really explore a character, developing work that aims to define who they were. It was an interesting project, as I haven’t done that before. Thinking more about whether styles and content are appropriate for my person – Lewis Carroll.
When using illustrator I found I was thinking a lot more about colour and how to work separate images as a set, planning out what colours and styles would link them together well.
Found I have been doing a lot more development work for this module than before, as in doing more composition sketches, and constant drawing of the same subject using different materials, which has really helped in finalising ideas and styles. Especially in studio brief 3, where I felt I was really using as a way of gaining an understanding of how I wanted to present Lewis Carroll.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I feel I have experimented a lot throughput this module, playing around with different materials, trying out digital media and seeing how to combine that with analogue, which has really helped to improve my approach to work.
I think my postcards that I made for the illustrator brief were my strongest finalised pieces; they worked well together and had a good colour scheme I feel. Although I am not very confident with digital media, I enjoyed making these pieces, as I managed to incorporate my own drawing, which enabled to me to keep it quite personal to my style. Although I think my development work for studio brief 3 was my strongest, as I really enjoyed drawing aspects of his life and working out what style would suit his character best.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I wasn’t happy with my poster that I made for studio brief 3, I think I could have spent more time composing it and making it work better as a set with the postcards and stamps. It looks a bit rushed and messy compared to the others and I don’t feel the style it has been done in works very well on such a big scale. Although I am much happier with the stamps and postcards from that project compared to the poster, I think all of them could have been worked on more. The ideas and research behind them are good, but the actual execution of the finals isn’t very impressive. So in future I will make sure there is a balance between the development work and the final images, as both are important factors.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

-       When put into groups for a project, I will try to make sure everyone has set responsibilities, because for studio brief 1 I feel we all were doing all the jobs which wasn’t very efficient. So having separate jobs will make the work load lighter and get more done.
-       I will manage my time better so that I have enough time to make final images that I am pleased with, without falling behind on development work because you need both for a project to be successful.
-       If I feel something doesn’t work with a final piece I will go back and try and improve it – if there is time, which I feel I should have done for studio brief 3.
-       When learning about a new process; like with illustrator, I will try harder and trying to know everything it can do and how I can use it rather than just using it for how I want my images to look and not knowing the tools very well.
-       If I know I will need to print something for the hand-in, I will make sure I book in advance because it was a bit risky going to the drop-in sessions as it was always so busy. It would also give me more of a set deadline to have everything practical finished before the deadline so I can spend more time fixing things on my blog etc.

6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



x

Punctuality




x
Motivation


x


Commitment



x

Quantity of work produced



x

Quality of work produced


x


Contribution to the group


x


The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self-evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment