Saturday 15 March 2014

creating postcards - Brugge

I started with my Brugge postcard. I hand drew the elements in the postcard first, but did each bit separately so that once scanned into illustrator I could move them around and play easily. 



I had initially thought to do all the postcards landscape but once I had scanned it in, the composition seemed rather empty.
I recently went to Brugge, so I looked through some of my photos to get more of an idea of what is recognisable there.


When I went the trees were all full of little sparkly lights, adding a very christmassy feel to it. I thought this might be a good addition to my illustration of Brugge.

The tower and the tree I hand drew and then live traced, but I then added colour and highlights on illustrator, as well as the balls of light. 

What I liked about working in this way was that if something was missing from the image, I could easily draw it out, scan in and then play around with scale to fit it in, instead of starting again. 
I did this with the cobbled floor, which is another aspect I remember from Brugge. 

I think the limit on colour has been quite effective, as it is not too convoluted, and the highlights help bring out the building, illuminating it slightly. 





No comments:

Post a Comment