Monday 29 December 2014

more monoprinting

I went back to the print rooms, with different sized printing boards, I cut them to rectangular sizes one about A2 length and the other about A3. I think using different formats really helps the prints look more like finished, composed pieces. I was testing out different colour schemes and compositions.


I've had some problems getting the prints to turn out how I wanted, with mono printings it is hard to foresee how they will look as it is a different turn out each time. There is big difference between the first and second print, but there are elements of each print that I like and want to find a way to put all the features I like onto one print - because although the compositions are turning out right I haven't yet managed a print that I feel could be passed as a final print.


I love the dense, bold colour of the background that comes out after the first print, but I would prefer the stencilled bits to be a colour rather than just right, I think the contrast is too much


I like the idea of singling out sections in different colours but I need to find a way of using other colours instead of white. I do like the faded texture but I think when it is all over it isn't very bold. I also keep getting marks on the print which I think is from the board still having oil or soap on it. 


What I like about the second print is the indentations left when the stencils are taken off the board, but it doesn't seem possible to have both the dense background colour while still having the faded, textural feel of the stencilled areas.

I want to find a way to solve this problem, I'm sure there must be some way, but the nature of mono printing is the faded colours with lots of patterns and shapes layered up. I think it is quite difficult to achieve a finished piece that is more of a composed scene rather than a pattern, but I'm sure I will find a way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment