Monday 30 November 2015

repeat pattern

The illustrations I've been making for the various projects would look good made into a repeated pattern, so I tried making one. I watched a couple of tutorials but they were a bit confusing as what I was doing wasn't turning out the same:



They made a pattern but were leaving gaps around it and not going fully to the sides, I wanted it to be a seamless pattern. So I used a technique I tried last year:


make a diamond within a square and fill with the imagery 


take each section and move to the opposite corner


a white diamond space will be left within the square



fill in the rest of the white space


delete the background colour, go to edit - define pattern



 name the pattern, then on a bigger document go to fill - pattern


I like how this pattern has turned out, it is quite busy but very energetic and colourful - I can imagine it working for kitchen ware - like fruit bowls or tea towels. I like the idea of focusing the patterns in one area - like kitchen based, which works well as I am making food illustration at the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment