Monday 30 November 2015

development

In my crit for extended practice I got some advice for my war horse work to make sure the illustrations had more depth. With my cut outs, they tend to very flat once the sections are stuck down, which works well for some images, but with war horse it might be more effective if I incorporated layers. One way to do this could be a diorama; I wasn't too cure about it at first but after a bit of research I've grown to the idea, some images I found:
https://www.pinterest.com/astridweguelin/war-horse/

An examples that really stood out to me was Hari and Deepti's creations


They are so atmospheric with a really strong sense of narrative. The limited colours puts more attention on the skill of the cut outs and the story thats happening. The way it has been lit is so important for the sense of depth and dream-like atmosphere. 

Obviously these are incredibly detailed and skilful, I don't think my paper cut skills would turn out anything like this but its a good example to aspire to. So I will look into thinking up some compositions. A good point was made that for the folio society, they will be looking for something very well crafted and unique - so not just doing a standard illustration might make me stand a better chance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment